October 9, 2011

Cebu City celebrates 1st Korean Day

My sister and I were fortunately in Ayala Center Cebu when we chanced upon the celebration of the city’s first ever Korean Day last October 1. With their growing population in the city, whether as tourists or residents, what better way to introduce their fascinating culture to their adoptive city than setting up a celebration in one of the biggest malls in the area. Bibimbap, gimbap, Korean pancakes, topokki, kimchi… the basic things that make Korean cuisine famous were offered by participating stalls at the bazaar. 

Somehow I regretted splurging over lunch before we made a beeline for the bazaar. By then we were too full to sample the free food tasting offered by accommodating stall owners to curious patrons. We ended up trying only the Topokki (stir-fried rice cake) even if I was raring for some bibimbap (too full!) instead.

One of the participating stalls at the bazaar
These ladies prepared my Gimbap order
Topokki a.k.a. stir-fried rice cakes for P50/cup
Gimbap (original) for P130... I ended up taking this home since we were still full from lunch

Can they make this a monthly thing? :) I wouldn’t mind. It’s a good start considering we’re not that into food bazaars/weekend markets yet. Who knows, another Mercato Centrale or Banchetto will rise in the Queen City of the South in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read a message from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...