October 30, 2010

It’s Team Canon, bitches!

Harry Potter was the first fandom that introduced me to the concept of 'shipping. Imagine pairing off kids who were even too young to start a relationship on their end. Quite weird, huh? But because it was mainly the story about an eleven-year old's journey to self actualization, JK Rowling was wise enough not to dwell too much on the romantic aspects of the story. It did not stop 'shipping wars from escalating. 

Team Harmony vs Team OBHWF (One Big Happy Weasley Family) is the most prominent of all HP 'shipping wars I have encountered. Although I doubt if it would still be classified as such ("war") since the epilogue sealed those couple's fates in canon. Trust Pinoy fans (or at least those in the forum I usually visit) to twist logic into their favor. Majority of them hate Ginny because she's boring, a flirt and not a significant character in the series when deep-inside they simply can't stand the actress who plays her. Bonnie Wright is the ultimate ice queen in their eyes. Shallow, eh?

And for the life of me, why on earth are people 'shipping Daniel Radcliffe/Emma Watson IRL? DRad outside of his HP persona screams flamboyantly metro-sexual with zero appeal. Emma, I can understand. The girl is no doubt easy on the eyes. It's quite disturbing however when these people (kids?) read too much into D/E publicity photos for the movie. You are no matchmakers. Let them live their life.

/rant-over.

Good thing I'm not that invested in 'shipping stuff these days. It was a period in my life that I have happily outgrown. It was fun while it lasted. But it doesn't mean I don't believe in happily ever afters anymore. I still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read a message from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...