September 11, 2011

Day 19: Where were you 10 years ago?

I’m watching 9/11 tribute shows on TV as I type this entry. Pretty overwhelming, and I don’t know which one to prioritize. But it will never change the fact that innocent lives were lost in a cowardly act of terrorism perpetrated by people blinded by their beliefs. I still cry every time I watch the memorial service commemorated year after year since the tragedy. It’s heartbreaking. Parents losing their children, children losing their parents, wives losing their husbands, babies born who never got to know their fathers. The list goes on.

I still remember that fateful day (night, for us in this time zone) like it was just yesterday. I was watching TV with my sister when my uncle rushed into the room and asked that we change the channel to CNN. He said the World Trade Center was on fire. No one knew yet that a plane had hit the North Tower. I remembered even saying that they should be fine since we all thought a fire had simply broken out on one floor. A few minutes later, we all realized it was an inferno caused by two planes crashing into the towers. The rest, they say, is history.

We ended up watching the news until way past midnight. It was the talk of the town at school the next day. Who knew all of those happened a decade ago? It’s surreal. Some of those fatalities were even younger than I am today when they died. They will never get to live their dreams anymore. But I will hold on to the thought that they are at peace knowing their legacy will forever be remembered.

NEVER FORGET.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read a message from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...